Thursday, September 22, 2011

Americanization


I'm originally from New York, and don't get me wrong: the theme of my bat mitzvah was New York City. I am pro I heart NY shirts as much as the next person.

But I got mine in Times Square from the guys who sell 3 for $10. So imagine my surprise at finding so many sold overseas:


Barcelona in particular had a surprising amount of Americanization, some of which we captured on camera. Not pictured was the protest we stumbled into where a large number of people marched down Las Ramblas with an anti-immigrant agenda telling all the tourists to go home. Also not pictured were the numerous McDonalds, Burger Kings, and other American restaurants and companies we encountered on our travels.

Lastly, one of my favorite pieces of Americanization was the Budweiser King of Beers towel we bought on our way to the beach (kind of pictured around Derek's neck below):

At the convenience store we went to in search of a towel, our only options were Disney and Budweiser. It is amazing how American companies have permeated cultures and language barriers, from Las Ramblas all the way to a little shop in Barceloneta.

No comments:

Post a Comment